Housing Modifications Resources

Affordable Housing Modifications List

  • Habitat for Humanity (Longview)
    They are taking applications. Please provide deed and income information. Critical needs only (no slabs), must have a Longview address.
    Phone: 903-236-0900 ext. 201 Cheryl.
    Website: http://www.longviewhabitat.org/

    • Fuller Center for Housing  (Kilgore) – Used to be Habitat for Humanity
    Phone: 903-986-1912
    Services: Various home related services available. Please call for details on guidelines and available resources.

    • Habitat for Humanity Restore
    The Habitat Retore is a 10,000 square foot, two-story warehouse, dock, and yard full of donated new and used building materials and home products sold to the general public at reduced prices. Open Tuesday-Saturday 9-5 Located at 300 W. Tyler in Longview.
    Phone: 903-758-4677
    Website: http://netxhabitat.org/restore/ 

    • The Texas Ramp Project
    This program assists with the building of ramps. Please call the Texas ADRC and we will do the referral for you through our website.
    Phone: 903-295-5922
    Website: http://www.texasramps.org/

    • Ambucs
    Mainly serve the closely surrounding Gregg County and Longview areas.
    Longview Ambucs
    Website: www.ambucs.org

    • MDCP
    The Medically Dependent Children Program can help with modifications for disabled children who are under age 21 and are cared for in the home.
    Phone: 1-877-438-5658 (to get on waiting list)
    Counties Serviced: All of Texas.
    Website: https://www.hhs.texas.gov/providers/long-term-care-providers/medically-dependent-children-program-mdcp

    • CLASS
    Community Living Assistance and Support Services may provide modifications for homes for individuals with approved conditions that occur before age 22.
    Counties Serviced: All of Texas.
    Phone: 1-877-438-5658
    Website: https://hhs.texas.gov/doing-business-hhs/provider-portals/long-term-care-providers/community-living-assistance-support-services-class

  • Deaf Blind with Multiple Disabilities (DBMD)
    This program may provide home modifications for individuals who are deaf-blind and have multiple disabilities.
    Counties Served: All of Texas.
    Phone: 1-877-438-5658.
    Website: https://hhs.texas.gov/doing-business-hhs/provider-portals/long-term-care-providers/deaf-blind-multiple-disabilities-dbmd

    • Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
    May help pay for some modifications to the home if the veteran has an honorable discharge.
    Counties Served: All of U.S.A.
    Phone: 1-800-827-1000
    Website:  https://www.va.gov/housing-assistance/disability-housing-grants/ or www.va.gov

  • Homeowner Rehabilation Assistance
    The program not only helps with the rehabilitation of owner-occupied houses, it can actually replace a home if:  your home is in need of a major repair, your home needs to be rebuilt on a different site, your manufactured home is in need of repair or your home is made uninhabitable by disaster or condemnation by local government.  Website : http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/texans.htm
  • United Methodist Action Reach-out Mission by Youth (U.M. ARMY)
    Services Provided: Home repair and maintenance for those unable to meet those needs.
    Counties Served: Mainly East and South East Texas but any callers are welcome to apply.
    Phone: 281-479-0103
    Website: http://www.umarmy.org/
  • The Greater Longview United Way
    Provides minor home modifications for disabled or low income senior homeowners in Longview.
    Cities Served: Must be a Longview resident.
    Phone: 903-236-9211
    Website: www.longviewunitedway.org.
  • Greater East Texas Community Action
    This program provides assistance with weatherization of homes.
    Phone for Gregg county: 903-758-5674
    Rusk County: 903-657-9472
    For more counties please call: 936-564-2491.

    • Access 2 Mobility
    HHS approved home modifications contractor.
    Counties: Gregg, Harrison, Marion, Panola, Rusk, and Upshur (call for additional counties served).
    Phone: 903-592-6760
    Website: http://www.access2mobility.com/

  • BH ContractorHHS approved home modification contractor.Counties Served: Gregg, Panola, Rusk, and Upshur (call for additional counties served). Contact Person :  Bryce Hayes       Phone: 903-617-8800.

Registered State of Texas Medicaid provider, enrolled and approved to provide long-term services and supports (LTSS)*.  Approved to provide products and services to most Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO’s), health insurance providers, and other organizations providing services to individuals with disabilities, operating in Texas. This includes Medicaid and Medicare members in all managed care service areas. They offer services for Star, Star+Plus, Star Kids and CHIP programs. In addition, they are Certified Home Assessment and Modification Professionals (C.H.A.M.P.), providing home modifications and products.
Phone#  (866) 217-2202        Email – Info@Thms-Texas.Com

Affordable Housing Inventory List by County

Helpful Housing Tips

  1. There is no universal standard for accessible housing.  So, be sure to verify with apartment managers that the apartment is accessible for a resident with a physical disability such as use of a wheelchair due to limited mobility issues which will require widened doors, lowered cabinets, etc.
  2. It’s worth the effort to view the apartment in person to ensure that all your specific requirements are met such as accessibility characteristics, and feelings of safety and comfort in surrounding the neighborhood.
  3. Obtain crime statistics for the neighborhood and specific apartment complex that you are considering.  You can obtain this report from your local police department.
  4. Budget wisely.  Know your upfront costs, such as deposits, pet fees, and administration/application fees.
  5. Consider renter’s insurance to cover your valuables.
  6. If you are interested in a property that has a waiting list, then we recommend you should get on the list as soon as possible.  It is very hard to find safe and accessible housing for older adults and the disabled.  Being on the waiting list doesn’t obligate you to sign a lease; it provides you with more opportunities.
  7. Always call or go by in person to the property to inquire about current pricing and availability- rates can change weekly! Remember to put your best self forward. Not only are you interviewing the Property Managers, but they are interviewing you as well!

Websites And Info

This website directs you to the new Health and Human Services (HHS) website which replaced the DADS website as of Sept. 1, 2017. So the information you used to find on the DADS website has moved to the HHS website. 


This website is for tenants and landlords. This site allows you to enter your preferred city, state, and zip code to locate Section 8 rentals. 

When visiting the website, go to “Rent Help” and click on “Find Reduced Rent Apartments”. From there, you can find affordable apartments according to your specific area. 

When visiting the website, go to Resources tab, and click on the first resource (Affordable Apartment search). 

When visiting the website, go  to Programs and then you will see several housing sites (CASA and NuestroHogar). These programs are for low income elderly and disabled persons aged 62 and older. 

Website for senior living, care options, senior products and services in your area. 

This is the city of Longview’s website. They don’t have public housing, only Section 8 choice vouchers along with several other special programs. You must apply in person. 

This affordable housing network allows you to type in a location and pull up affordable housing in your area. 


How To Contact Us

We understand that finding help for older adults and people with disabilities can be overwhelming. That’s why we have Trained Specialists who will guide you to the right service options to help meet your needs. They are available to assist you Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. If you live within the 23 counties we serve, call the number below and follow the instructions.

Dial 1-855-937-2372

  1. then Press 1
  2. Press 1 again
  3. Enter the ZIP Code of the person receiving care or assistance

After following these easy steps, your call will be transferred to our Trained Information and Referral Specialists who are ready to listen to your concerns and provide you with information for a variety of service providers, including publicly funded and private pay services.

Whether you are looking for long-term care services or supports for yourself or someone else, please give the ADRC number a call.


Play Video